Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What's In The Box?

Donna didn't send a harvest ticket this week so we don't know what that one leafy green in the middle is.

UPDATE: I wrote Farmer Donna asking about the contents of our boxes and she wrote back with:

"I do have you on the newsletter list, haven’t sent out a newsletter this week."


We know. My guess is that that Donna is trying to keep us from being too disappointed if something on the harvest ticket doesn't make it into our boxes due to harvest conditions, etc. (This happened with our first week's purslane.) The problem is that while most of us understand what an orange is we don't know what some of the other more exotic things are. Theseare the things that compelled us to join the program in order to explore and we want to know what they are! (Not to mention that there are MANY kinds of oranges!)

I would suggest putting a 'content' list at the drop off so we can know whats in our boxes each week.

UPDATE 2: Farmer Donna notified me via email that the mystery green was, in fact, arugula. I think we were thrown off by the fact that this was harvested as God intended and not destined to be 'baby arugula', picked at a predetermined size, washed, radiated, and popped into a cello bag for our consumption. I had it for my lunch salad today and it was wonderful, somewhat spicy, and still crisp and fresh. When I have arugula I enjoy with the simplest olive oil and vinegar dressing ONLY.

Ticket arrived:

No comments: