Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Beautiful Basil

When our CSA boxes came last week, I had a hard time extracting my nose from the sweet, pungent basil bouquet we received. It was big enough to cradle like an armful of beauty pageant roses, and cradle it I did...briefly. Then I got to work on making some delicious pesto with both basil and arugula.

Basil Arugula Pesto
I like to do all of this in my Cuisinart in the interest of time. All the pesto can be done to taste, depending on what you want to pair it with. A dipping sauce might be a little lighter whereas the pesto I like to use for my pasta and chicken has a bit of heat from the garlic and arugula.
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup lightly packed basil leaves plus 5-6 arugula leaves
¼ cup + lightly toasted pine nuts
¼ cup + freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano
½ cup good tasting olive oil

Combine garlic and salt in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the basil and pine nuts and pulse until finely minced, then add the parmesan and do the same. Use your spatula and scrape all the goodies off the side of the bowl before adding the olive oil. While the blade is moving, slowly pour in the olive oil and just run the food processor until the pesto is to your desired consistency.
Pesto Pasta
Prepare your pasta to al dente and reserve some of your pasta water (a ½ cup or so). Put your strained pasta back in the pot and pour in your reserved pasta water. This will keep the noodles from sticking. Add in ¾ c to a cup of your fresh pesto and toss the pasta.
I grilled chicken breasts, cut them up and then finished them on the stove with a little pesto as well.


I topped the fettuccini and pesto chicken with some of those beautiful little tomatoes from our CSA shares. Voila!




1 comment:

Huy Bui said...

Gillian...I'm a big fan of pesto and I can't wait to try your recipe.