Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cooking for This Week

When you saw that last post were you wondering what he made with dandelion greens and ice berg lettuce? I'm in a good groove now with what has been coming in the rest of the box. This week I made more pesto and froze my mint according to Gillian's instructions.

Lettuce Wraps!


I always love the wraps at that branded Asian food store. They serve them as an appetizer but I prefer them as my complete dinner. Turned out they were the perfect dish to 'absorb' my dandelion greens as I don't really like the 'scrubbier' greens for salads as they get a bit bitter. But sliced up they make a good counter to the sweeter sesame oils and hoisin sauce in lettuce wraps.

Ice berg lettuce leaves
1 lb ground beef
1 TBS olive oil for frying
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 TBS soy sauce
3 TBS hoisin sauce
2 TBS rice vinegar
Asian chili pepper sauce to taste. (I put in 3 TBS and that was good for me.)
1 can water chestnuts (drained and chopped)
1 bunch green onions chopped (reserving some chopped greens for garnish)
1/2 bunch dandelion greens
2 TBS dark sesame oil.

Heat a medium skillet to high heat, add 1 tbs oil and brown ground beef. Break into small pieces and when completely cooked through, remove from heat and sit aside to drain on paper towels. While the meat is cooling, add the onions to the pan and stir for 1 minute to begin cooking. Add garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar and chili pepper sauce to the onions. Stir to mix well. Add water chestnuts, green onions and sesame oil. Stir in chopped dandelion greens. When all is heated through add sauce to ground beef and mix well in bowl. Garnish bowl with reserved green onion and let your guests make their own wraps using the lettuce cups.

Don't have dandelion greens? I don't blame you. Sub in anything you want. Shredded carrot would work well too!

No comments: